Hi, I’m Michele, and I am a pseudo-interior designer with a passion for re-decorating homes. My main purpose is to make refurbishing your homes a whole lot easier by sharing some buying tips when choosing furniture items. At the same time, I want to share some of the design tips I’ve learned along the way.
If you are familiar with the sewing practice, then creating a bean bag chair will not be challenging for you. You will have to be patient and give some time to the process. However, some of you guys might not know much about sewing and the process of making a bean bag chair.
Well, it’s not that difficult even if you don’t have a strong grip on sewing. Here you will go through a few steps of making a bean bag chair even at your home.
What You Will Need?
Following are the things needed to make a bean bag chair.
- Sewing machine
All the mentioned items are easily available, so you will not require putting much effort while finding these things.
First, you need to collect the materials required to create a bean bag chair. Below are some common stuff given that you may need for the process.
You will need a fabric for the interior section of the chair. However, don’t go for an expensive fabric because even a cheap one can do the required work for you.
Before buying fabric, you should have an idea of the dimensions that you want to keep on your bean bag chair. The dimensions of the fabric may depend on the size of the chair that you want to make.
If you want to make a larger bean bag chair, then try to purchase more fabric, but if you want a smaller chair, then less fabric can do the task.
You will also require fabric for the chair’s cover. You can pick any fabric to add on the exterior side of the chair. Try choosing that fabric on which you can comfortably sit. You can additionally prefer fancy exterior fabric if you want.
A bean bag chair is incomplete without filler. We would suggest you choosing expanding foam as a filler. Apart from expanding foam, you can also prefer some other fillers as per your wish.
Packing peanuts are also popularly used as filler in the bean bag chair so you can prefer it. Apart from this, the chances are that the other materials like a sewing machine, scissors and a marker may also be peasant at your home.
After collecting the materials, you need to do the fabric cutting task. Mark the dimensions with the marker on the fabric so that you do not perform any mistake while cutting it. Additionally, you can take support from measuring tape to make the accurate measurements.
Put the fabric in a flat position on the work table so that you can easily cut it. If you are not familiar with the fabric cutting process, then you can ask someone for help.
- Make sure to draw the outline and cut the circles out. For the cutting process, you can utilize fabric scissors.
- First, identify the center of the circle so that you can easily get the other measurements.
- To get accurate measurements for the circle, you should also measure its diameters and radius.
- Take the same dimensions of radius and diameters for all the circles because you will require preparing four circles of the same size.
- After creating the circles, take the fabric and cut rectangles from it.
- For the rectangle, you can select the width up to 32 inches and the length of around 87 inches. Keep the length and width the same for all the rectangles.
- Make sure to cut four rectangles of the same dimensions.
After cutting, sewing is the other process that you have to perform. You can use a sewing machine for it. Try to be careful with the sewing process, because a wrong move can mess up the fabric.
- Make two pairs of rectangles and attach them.
- Take a circle and sew its edges with the rectangles. Fix the entire circle correctly with the rectangles.
- Now execute the same process to the other side. Add a circle at the bottom side and fix it with rectangles.
- Add pins to dedicate a separate area for the zip section.
- Now add zip, remove the pins and sew it. Check the zip working, by zipping and unzipping it.
Fill the Bags
Here you will need the help of fillers. You will require fillers to fill the bags. However, to execute this process, you will have to show some patience because fillers might come out of the bag repetitively unless you shut it with the zip. You can take either expanding foam, packing peanuts, or some other items as a filler to fill the bags.
- Open the zip and add fillers to it.
- Fill the bag entirely from inside.
- After filling, zip the bag so that the fillers do not come out.